Friday 30 May 2008

Graffiti

We have a slight problem with graffiti at the school. Students write on the walls and on the desks both in class and out. It's very frustrating for many reasons - one student wrote POLY = Hell on the wall, which is saddening. I keep forgetting to take a picture but in one classroom someone drew a circle, an arrow to the circle, and "booger?" In two classes I have seen students erasing doodles during class and I have informed them that if I catch anyone writing on the desks they will get not one study hall (detention) but study hall for an eternity. Then, because comprehension and vocabulary are so important, I say, "who can tell me what 'eternity' means?" There's always at least one student who knows the synonym 'forever' and I compliment them on their excellent vocabulary and remind them that they will get to experience eternity if I catch them writing on the desks.

Things I have done recently:
*Attended a meeting for volunteers for an organization that helps Korean victims of sex trafficking (the Dasi Hamkke Center)
*Attended a Taekwondo for foreigners club
*Tried norebang (Korean karaoke)
*Failed norebang
*Edited a piece for the Dasi Hamkke Center
*Discovered that vodka watermelons are a complete fabrication, a myth of the internet that cannot actually be made (I had a damned melon with a gaping wound full of vodka in my fridge for 36 hours to no effect)
*Drunkenly practiced my Korean with the front desk ladies at a party and discovered they think I'm mean because I scowl a lot - I look angry when I plan lessons I guess
*Developed a crush
*Acquired a vast array of Hello Kitty magnets from male coworkers who are now ahead of me in collecting (I don't purchase beer or cigarettes with as much regularity)

2 comments:

CapnSunkist said...

Ben knows how to make a good vodka watermelon - you should check w/ him for methodology.

Anonymous said...

Do you still have the Hello Kitty magnets... I am searching for some.