Tuesday 9 September 2008

Drug-Runnin' English Teachers

I have now been in Korea over 10 months. Last week was the first time I ever heard low-flying jets rumbling over my neighborhood. This morning I heard them again. I decided it was time to finally register with the embassy. I realize that if the DPRK really starts something then the odds are that I'll be, at most, a grease stain but, on the off chance of an evacuation, I registered. While registering I was having some difficulties with the State Dept. site and ended up calling the State Dept. I was transferred to a very pleasant employee and after I realized my mistake I apologized to her for wasting her time and she asked me what I was doing in Korea. I said that, like everyone else, I was teaching English. She then told me that I was the first English teacher she had spoken to through her job that had not been arrested here. Numerous English teachers end up getting arrested for drug-related crimes. Some actually get involved in running drugs, others just get in trouble for receiving drugs in the mail. They're in the process of setting up a prison just for foreigners here, likely related specifically to that sort of activity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is pathetic.

D