Thursday 25 October 2007

My First Day

Today was my first day of work. I made another video in order to showcase some purchases from the local 7-11 and share a bit about the teaching experience. Convenience stores in Korea and Japan are awesome. I have incredibly fond memories of all the goods you could acquire at the "conbini" when I was in Tokyo and, while not as extensive, the ones around here are great too.

First, you can buy liquor at conbini. Having grown up in Pennsylvania I am still awed by the far easier access one has to beer & wine almost everywhere else. In the American deep south you can buy beer at the gas stations and there are often bottle openers at the counter so you don't have to wait to get back to your car to start drinking.

Second, they have all manner of snacky foods and exciting treats. Granted this is mostly taking joy in the exotic. That is why I came to Korea: to have the otherwise mundane turned on its head.



I know that this stuff either is or soon will be totally uninteresting, dear reader-viewer. As it is I'm still pondering whether I'm really contributing to the greater good by making (bad) videos. Over time I hope to acquire a real camera and some actual editing skills but right now, so far from everything, this is how I'm fighting the isolation. Pay attention for a bit longer, though, because I have a challenge for friends and family coming up as soon as I complete a few things.

5 comments:

Jason said...

Thank you, G——. You made my morning / your night. :)

Anonymous said...

Gentry, it's Jill - wow, congrats on the totally amazing adventure!! I'm super excited for you! I keep threatening my mom that one day my phone will be disconnected and I'll have left this city-swamp for some fun adventure. I'll have to live vicariously through you and Brynne for now!

Meg said...

Love you! Thank you for the video blogging. You look great on film. ;-) Have fun in Japan.

DLouise said...

Perhaps you could take your computer to school and show us your teaching prowess. If you need help with behavior management, you know who to call!!!!

Shannon Brooke Davis said...

Your food pictures scare me. I hope you can soon find some more wholesome food. They do have fruits & veggies there right? I don't want you to starve.