Wednesday 24 October 2007

You Can Come To My 'Hood, I Will Show You My Crib

My fancy-pants new laptop allows me to make awkwardly filmed movies! Now you can see, in all its glory, my apartment:


Today was stressful. I had to begin planning the umpteen classes I'll be teaching tomorrow. It's a little scary and a little frustrating. I've only seen a few of the many classes I'll be teaching and since I've only been in country three days it's a little overwhelming. I did see one of the classes I am taking over and that was dominated by the misbehavior of two boys and climaxed with totally inappropriate vocabulary (theirs, not mine).

As for observations specific to my Korean experience thus far: questions that are considered rude in America about personal things are the norm here. On the ride from the airport Sunday night the guy driving me asked 1) "Are you married?" and 2) "How old are you?". I was expecting him to go for a hattrick and ask if I believe in God or how much I weigh but he veered into politics. Do I like President Bush? No. That's a fairly safe answer most places outside the United States. I do wonder how I would be received if I espoused how lucky the rest of the planet is that Bush is dishing whoopass and Democracy to all and sundry.

Today, I was introduced to various classes and got to field questions. What did I get to field? Teacher, are you married? Teacher, how old are you? Do you have a boyfriend? Do you have a girlfriend?

Whoah! Yea, that last one surprised me. The second time I had to own up to being single I asked the student if she was going to help me out in that department. The boy who asked me if I had a boy- or girlfriend asked me if I was lonely. Oh. My. God. I'm just waiting to come in one day and have innocent seven-year-old faces inquire what I'm doing with my life or if I'm worried that my ovaries (and today's inappropriate vocabulary lesson makes their knowledge of this word entirely possible) are going to turn to dust before I ever trick a man into marrying me. Good thing the kids are learning plural nouns - we can talk about the many cats I'll be living with.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Gentry, this will be an amazing blog -- I already laughed so hard at the randy questions you're fielding from folks over there. Lord. :-)

Anyway, GOOD LUCK. I can't wait to hear more about your adventures... and I'll be keeping in touch. I'm excited to see your apartment video, too.

Cheers,
Em (in Boston)

Jason said...

Great video -- you have a cool apartment, much bigger than I expected. Nestlé has given the world universally bad instant coffee. I don't know if they make "Maxim," but I've had their lousy stuff in a few distant countries.

Hope you're getting over the jet lag and into the swing of things with the class.

Gooseberry said...

Sorry about the coffee. Send Corey your mailing address and Ill send you a areo press and some vacuum sealed beans. Also, Pratchett's new book is great.

DLouise said...

I didn't realize you new computer was so over the top. Your apartment looks great if a little bare. Please be careful with the gas. That is scarry.

Good luck on your first day of working with children --I know how much you love the little dears.

Much love,
M