Friday 11 January 2008

Pairings


What, you ask, goes well with a 2006 Shiraz? A huge pile of work to be graded. It's Friday night an I am working my way through a whole bag of papers, worksheets, and journals that need to be graded. I have to take care of a lot in preparation for next week both because I will have guests and because one of the coordinators is leaving for America unexpectedly, adding at least one more class to my schedule.

A few things to share...

A month or two ago one of my students tried to scoot out of class before I arrived. I saw him leaving, slipped to the side of the door then jumped in front of him and yelled, "boo!", causing him to jump almost out of his skin. It was very satisfying. Ever since then he and one other boy have been trying to catch me off guard and do the same. I really enjoy it. Just as I was thinking that they might have given up they tried again on Wednesday.

Today, one of my tween/teen students was fiddling with some cord attached to his pants instead of paying attention to class. I stepped in front of him and said, "...the answer is not in your pants." I looked up to see one of my more active but undisciplined students leaning over with his head in his neighbor's lap and informed him that the answer was not in his neighbor's pants, either.

This morning I apparently left a part of my knuckle in the recycling outside. I narrowly missed spilling blood on some of the papers I was grading. It will be a good cover story if they find any wine stains on their homework...No, wait, that's Kahlua.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to my world. I hope your students write better than mine do.
When Elouise was a puppy, she ate some student papers - some to the extent that when I returned them--it wasn't little tooth marks but slobber and torn up homework assignments. Everyone got full credit - I really couldn't read some of the info on the papers -I couldn't even read some of the names. There was a great deal of discussion as to whose paper was whose. They thought Elouise should grade all their papers.
Encourage the domesticated pets in the area (and what the hell - let the birds do their thing) to grade them for you. Saves a lot of time and PAIN.

D