Wednesday 9 January 2008

Thailand Musings

A combination of adjusting to returning and the anticipation of guests has left me in a strange, disconnected state. I'm getting what I need to do done but not all that I want to do. I am transcribing some of the notes I took (errors included!) while in Thailand.


Oh God! No seatbelts in the taxi!

...

I find it fascinating that in a nation that is 95% Buddhist there were Xmas lights everywhere including trees, all blinking at a seizure-inducing rate.

...

I really wish I had a seatbelt.
When you exit to the transport area of the airport people come at you saying "taxi"...There were tons of foreigners, many dressed in ways that made me embarassed for Western Civilization. I hate to say it but I could smell it when the French tourists got in our line. There was a guy w/ a gold chain, muscle shirt, and mullet who looked like he fell out of the '80's rather than the EU.

...

As we flew over Thailand, before getting close to the airport I could see lots of lights. As always cities at night are beautiful. I feel as though I can reach down and pick up the sparkles. There were areas where single clumps of light were spread out. It made me think of lonely spirits roaming.

...

I had my first moment of aggravation at Thailand today. I was walking down a long thoroughfare and some (presumably) Thais began following me. I have been practicing ignoring most solicitation but in this case bags of dried corn were thrust into my arms. Curiously, moments before I had thought, "what jackass is feeding all these pigeons" only to discover it was jackasses like me. One person opened the bags of corn and instructed me to empty them for the pigeons. After this I stepped away and was hemmed in by the guy and hi female associate, "you pay." I was aghast and after a few exchanges I gave them the change in my pocket and said that was all I had. The guy pointed at my pocket w/ wallet in it and indicated more. I said there was no money, only "ID so I don't get in trouble" and after a few repetitions they left.

...

Here's my interpretation of the Thai coup from what little I've read and seen:

Thai Military: Do over!
Gov't: There's no do overs in government!
Thai Military: We've got guns!
Gov't: Fine! We'll do it over.

[I should add, belatedly, that after this I imagine one party or the other saying the Thai equivalent of "So...wanna go get a sammich?"]

Finally...Remember when I claimed I met Vizzini Wallace Shawn? Many moons later...

1 comment:

Jason said...

Inconceivable!