Friday 29 August 2008

Doom...Doom...DOOOOOM!

Sometimes I like to play around with my kids by chanting "doom" when they don't have their homework when I come to check it. They don't know what it means but they laugh because I'm chanting. With the old kids I just tell them they're fired. Or give them Study Hall. It's good to keep them guessing ;).

Anyways, it's all coming back to haunt me as I have been scheduled to teach 3 classes a week with the students I have who dislike me openly. By openly I mean they stare like cattle on qualuudes (how on earth do you spell that?) while I attempt to engage them. It's quite possible that I'm not dumbing down my language enough but, given historical data, it's more likely that I have been cast into a role as a hated teacher. I was down to teaching them just once a week but someone has forgotten the Lessons of History and I'm back to 3 to everyone's dismay. On the other hand: The Arsonist is quitting. Rather than shanking the co-worker he has chosen to take his ball and go home. Today I tossed him into the hallway for styling his hair during class after failing to bring homework. Good times. The homework was for each of them to write three sincere, helpful suggestions for making class with me more enjoyable.

I'll be teaching Economics this semester, which is a frightening and bizarre prospect. I don't exactly understand why we're offering this. Troubling, tho', is that I probably have the most experience with Economics in an academic environment...what will they do when I leave? I've been thinking about all the self-aggrandizement and pathetic ego being paraded by some of the coworkers and what I'd really like to ask them is: If you're so awesome why do you talk about it all the time, shouldn't it speak for itself? Second to that, "if you're so awesome, why am I the person who is asked to teach the most challenging students and courses?" Just a thought. Bitches.

No comments: