Saturday 23 August 2008

The Olympic Spirit

At this very moment Korea is playing against Cuba for the gold medal in baseball. Three members of the Doosan Bears are apparently on the Korea team. Interestingly, professional players from SK can be on their Olympic team while professional players in America cannot play on the American team. There are several chicken shacks (including "Mexican chicken", the place with the stallion logo*) right next to where I pick up my dry cleaning. As I walked by I saw two flat screen teevees facing the sidewalk with a dozen plastic tables set up in front. About 30 people from the neighborhood, mostly middle aged men, were sitting watching the game, drinking beer, and eating fried chicken. It was neat. What I love about the Olympics is the way it does bring people together and gives us something to share worldwide that we rarely have. Even my coworkers, who are almost wholly ignorant of current affairs, are aware of what is going on. South Korea has done very well and I've been pleased for them. On the trip back from Andong we stopped to get dinner and watched a South Korean woman set another world record in weight lifting and win the gold. There's something warm and fuzzy about sharing a success with dozens of strangers. Naturally, the gold in women's taekwondo went to a Korean. :D

Sadly, the thrill of the Olympics has been dulled by Obama's choice of Joe Biden as his running mate. I wasn't rooting for any of the others but I get a sinking feeling of dread when I think of Biden on the campaign trail. I like Biden: I think he's smart and that he has expressed some very good ideas and political views. However, the man's foot is always hovering near his mouth, waiting for a chance to slip in and obscure Biden's finer qualities.

*For reasons that remain a mystery. Do stallions like fried chicken or Mexican food?

2 comments:

CapnSunkist said...

yep - not that i want obama to win, cause i so don't but i would concur on the foot-mouth syndrome for that purpose. perfect example is now mccain's new biden ad www.johnmccain.com/ can't argue that one! hilarious imo :)

Anonymous said...

I think that had more to do with MLB not wanting to injure their players than Olympic rules.