Wednesday 23 April 2008

Fire!

One of my students committed arson at school today! The fuel: a vocabulary quiz I returned to him (he got a 6/16). I stepped out of the teacher's room to a buzz of activity. One coworker was waving a half-burned, soaking wet quiz while one of my students* continued to cement his unpopularity with his peers by tattling.

The arsonist is a topic of regular conversation. I had him hauled out of my class and actually began to call his mother myself a few weeks ago because he was being a prick to the nth degree. He was sent to the director's office and since then I have had little trouble with him. I'm not sure what she said but I played it cool with him and positively reinforce him when he is well behaved. He's still a raging turdlet in other classes but not mine.

At any rate, he apparently decided that the best possible use of his 5 minute class break would be to take the quiz into the john with the two other boy twits from that class and burn the quiz with his lighter then flush it down the commode. This is a remarkably stupid plan given that our toilets can't even handle toilet paper, much less A4 paper. When I saw him headed to the director's office he had a huge, shit-eating grin on his face.

Sandwich Saga Update
Today the ajima provided sandwiches (seemingly store bought) for dinner. Dinner at work is a source of regular aggravation as we have only 10 minutes to eat and there are times when dinner is not ready at the start of that window or dinner is entirely inadequate (she once left us only potato salad and bread). Sandwich ingredients for today:
mayonnaise
ketchup
mustard
carrots
lettuce
tomatoes
a thin layer of egg
salami
imitation crab

All in within the confines of a half a roll. Imitation crab. I don't understand why the God of Sammiches has not smote Asia as a whole or, minimally, Korea to serve as a warning to others.

*This mere child implies or states in almost every paper he writes that if you don't know exactly what he means you, dear reader, are a complete and utter idiot. Last semester I informed him that not everyone in the world has heard of Santa. You should have seen the look in his eyes when I stated that the majority of the world is not Christian. It was a look that told me: 1) I'm going to hell and 2) He was going to have a serious chat with his parents when he got home.

No comments: