Sunday 27 April 2008

Sunday Update



Last night I watched Talladega Nights: the Ballad of Ricky Bobby with my coworker/friend. It is highly likely that it was an illegal Korean copy (they sell them everywhere on the streets). What struck me is that I don't understand why they would subtitle this movie in Korean. The majority of the humor is local to America. Maybe the slapstick and physical humor is enough. Towards the end when one character is behaving like Tawny Kitaen (Whitesnake music video sex symbol) they transliterate it in roman characters as "Tony Cage". A small but, I would argue, significant difference. Also, they simply transliterate "oh my God" into Korean characters rather than using (or perhaps having) a local equivalent. This country may have an obscenity shortage; I hope that our FTA with Korea will rectify this situation, reducing NTBs on vital commodities like cuss words.

No comments: