Friday 7 December 2007

Purpose in Life

I have a new mission in life. I have just heard that at least one person in Nova Scotia keeps kelp-eating sheep. It was in a story about a tasering incident in Canada and the NPR reporter mentioned it casually. How can one just toss out the fact that there are kelp-eating sheep as though talking about what you had for lunch?! So, now, among my many other goals, I intend to see these kelp-eating sheep.

I woke up early today and started cleaning the apartment. Yesterday two Korean women, one of whom spoke English, stopped by my apartment. I love the flash of surprise that crosses the natives' faces when a foreigner answers the door:). She asked if she could come back tomorrow with an English version of a survey and I, having no real reason to decline, agreed. In case she comes, or looks, inside the apartment I decided I ought to tidy up at least a few of the piles of junk building up and sweep.

After doing my civic duty and possibly being encouraged to join a church I'll be going to the area called Itaewon. Itaewon is known for being a foreigner district that does not at all represent "real Korea". I fear that I'll see a lot of honkies displaying the kinds of behaviors that I find embarrassing and immature because I've already seen it in other popular areas. I'm sure I will also see endless parades of unattractive white men with good looking Korean girlfriends and spend some time lamenting the unfairness of romantic life. I'll bring a positive attitude and my camera. I'm looking forward to seeing a new part of the city.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! where trying to find out about the kelp eating sheep, and stumbled on your page! NOVA SCOTIA HAS THEM?! ah! thats where we are! have you found out who and where(has the sheep)? and if so can you tell us
??
-thanks
Jenn and Andrea

jennygalliott@yahoo.ca