Thursday 1 November 2007

craigslist love you long time

You may or may not be aware of my obsession with craigslist "missed connections" in a previous life. I find it a fascinating place, along with cl generally, to explore the weird behaviors that anonymity cultivates. Missed Connections was particularly interesting in that it allowed people to throw out "feelers" about interactions or vent their feelings anonymously while still permitting some microscopic possibility of genuine communication.

Craigslist Seoul is remarkably dull compared to that of Washington, DC. In fact, overall, the board gets far less use than it does in America. This makes sense and while it is disappointing that I don't get to wade through all the strangeness of a busy list (such as finding the MC about a failed indecent exposure) it allows me to marvel at the elements that do choose to use the medium. MC is lacking in posts so I have extended my trolling to the M4W and other forums.

Before marveling at the particulars let me share this fact: every single weagook male that I have met either arrived in Korea married or is now married to/in a serious relationship with a Korean woman. Every. One. The women are mostly single. I could make some rather cynical estimations on why that is but that is not my place. It certainly seems that perhaps there is a preference for picking up a local wife, which is fine except that I can't help but think about reasons I have heard that Asian women are preferred by Western men. At any rate, despite the total bloody absence of a question mark, this guy would like to know if you are ready for marriage.

Hmmm...he seems to be a weagook. Oh and he likes stuff that is good! I like good stuff, too! OMG, it's like we're soul mates. Look at how he nonchalantly leans against his sports car! He must take life in stride. I bet he's really spiritual, he likes "simple things."

Good lord, I hope this guy isn't here teaching English. This man, meanwhile, is keeping the most retarded of MC habitual inquiries alive on the other side of the earth. Where all my bitches at? The internet truly is the intersection that hosts most human car wrecks.

No comments: