Tuesday 13 November 2007

More About the Competition

So, can you believe my coworkers aren't amused by my competition? Well, I don't think they really get it. Or, perhaps, they don't realize that I'm mostly kidding and am actually fully incapable of affection and merely toying with you all (muahahahhahaha!). Anyways, I use sign language of sorts in this one and speak of she who will be known as The Bug Lady. I look forward to hearing from Bug Lady in the future as I suspect she is a part of the social and managerial fabric of my apartment building.

While I am at it let me enumerate some awesome Korean superstitions:

1) If you write someone's name in red ink they will die. I have to be very careful when marking students papers because, of course, there is always the temptation to write "Great job, Steve!" or whatever. I've already had to go over two names in black ink.
2) Korean magpies are a sign of good luck. Good! There are a lot around and they are pretty, I've been trying to get a good photo of one and failing.
3) The number four is bad luck. One student claims her apartment complex has no building "104" as a result.
4) If you wash your hair on a test day you will wash out all the knowledge.

Without further ado: the competition, the bug lady, and a package.

2 comments:

DLouise said...

I will check with my Deaf students to find the appropriate sign for bug/cockroach. The hand over hand with thumbs flapping looks familiar but I think it may be something nice like "butterfly". Info will follow.

Dianne

DLouise said...

PS I am disturbed that the family has not been awarded bonus points.

YOUR RELATIVES